Meet the Turken “Naked Neck” – a chicken breed that’s sure to turn heads in your backyard! Originating from Eastern Hungary, these unique birds boast a turkey-like appearance, characterized by their distinct lack of feathers on the neck and a sparser feathering across their robust bodies. This distinctive feature was originally bred into them to facilitate easier plucking for meat and to enhance their tolerance to heat. While they may have a quirky look, Turkens are known for their friendly demeanor, making them a great choice for beginner backyard chicken keepers.
These chickens are not just about their unusual looks; they are also excellent dual-purpose birds. The hens are known for their broody nature and make wonderful mothers. They are prolific layers, producing around 180 to 240 medium to large brown eggs annually. As for size, the roosters average 8.5 pounds, while the hens weigh about 6.5 pounds. It’s important to note that while Turkens are hardy, they do require extra care in colder climates due to their fewer feathers.
When it comes to breeding Turkens, about 90% of chicks hatch with the naked neck trait, while the remaining 10% may have feathers on their necks. At Valley Hatchery, we ensure that we ship only the naked neck chicks. However, if bred, they can produce offspring with both feathered and naked necks.
The Turken “Naked Neck” chicks available at Valley Hatchery come in an array of colors, adding a splash of diversity to your flock. While we do not offer a specific color variety, each chick brings its unique hue to the mix, making them a delightful sight in any backyard. It’s noteworthy that while these chickens are celebrated for their distinctive traits and adaptability, our multi-color variety are not recognized by the American Poultry Association (APA). Nonetheless, their average lifespan of around 7 years, potentially longer with excellent care, makes them a long-term and enchanting addition to any poultry enthusiast’s collection. With Valley Hatchery, you’re choosing chicks that are not just intriguing in appearance but are also happy, healthy, and ready to thrive in their new home.
Learn more about this breed, watch this video by ‘Livestock Breeds’: